My Most Difficult Piece of Art

I have worked on some crazy art projects for clients, family and friends.  Some of them would make you laugh…this one might make you cry.  The most difficult piece of art that I have ever (and hopefully will ever) had to work on is the headstone for my son’s gravesite.  If you have read my other posts you know the story of our son Lukas, so I am not going to get into the details.  If you want to know the full story check out the Lukas Clark Moore post.  It has taken us a long time to get this memorial done and we finally have a picture from the stone maker.  I can’t wait for it to be set at the gravesite so we have something to visit.

I wanted this headstone to be special and illustrate the love that my wife and I have for our son without it being generic and the standard design people in our situation might use.  I had already done an art piece for the wall in his room, that will never get made.  My wife had found this fabric pattern and had planned to make the bedding for his crib out of it and my art piece used the same design to tie everything together.  It only seemed fitting to incorporate this design into his headstone.

I am a weird guy sometimes, and I am fully aware of this.  I think that strange things happen in life and the coinsidences surrounding them are often the strangest things of all.  As you know by the name of my blog and business my name, Jay, is the 10th letter of the alphabet.  My wife’s name starts with a “K” (11th letter) and we chose Lukas in part because it starts with the letter “L” (12th letter).  We discovered after selecting this pattern that there were only 12 animals used.  I can’t fight that coinsidence.  We also ended up burying our son on August 12, 2010.

6 Comments Add yours

1. Starr says:

It’s beautiful Jay.

2. Nancy Comfort says:

I can only imagine how difficult this had been for you and Kami, but turning grief into something meaningful and tangible is wonderful. Sending prayers for much happiness for both of you,now and always. See you soon.

3. Rebecca Fast says:

A breathtaking and memorable tribute for a forever loved child.

4. Patti Infanti says:

What a fitting tribute to Lucas. I hope this memorial brings you both some comfort in your grief over your loss. Only time will lessen the hurt and the grief. I hope you both will be able to find happiness as time goes on. Prayers continue for you.

5. Soni Bates says:

A most difficult piece but perhaps your best Jay!
    We’re really going to miss you around here and continued prayers for you and Kami.

6. Lisa says:

Love it, it is beautiful. And I love the way you did the letters, that is very cool. kismet!